Oxford Tenants' Union
We are a group of concerned citizens who aim to build a mutual support network and safe space for renters in Oxford, the least affordable city in the UK.
Affordable, safe, habitable and secure housing is a human right (see UN declaration of Human Rights). We want to unit and build a movement for housing justice that makes this a reality.
Currently we are working in the following areas:
- Building a support network for renters: providing a space for tenants to come and share their problems in a safe space that offers solidarity and anonymity
- Providing information on renter’s rights
- Building a database around agents and landlords to rank their cost and quality to highlight issues around rogue landlords and agents
- Fighting housing discrimination, by standing in solidarity with those faced with housing issues and eviction
- Raising awareness on Housing Crisis
- Demanding from the government to enforce the law on landlords and basic Human Rights as per their commitment and engagement in the UN
- Developing new campaigns and actions relating to specific housing issues in Oxford
- Empowering individuals and building skills to take action on their own housing situations and to tackle the global housing crisis as a group.