Welcome visitors to Marksoutoftenancy.com Ltd ("our site"). Our site is hosted by us, Marks Out Of Tenancy Ltd. On our site, tenants and prospective tenants in the United Kingdom can write reviews of landlords and properties, read reviews by others, and view information submitted by landlords and agencies.
We are a limited company registered in England and Wales under company number 09535920, whose registered office is at 36 Dirac Road, Bristol, BS7 9LP.
In this policy we describe what information we collect, who we may disclose it to, and what uses we put it to.
What Information We Collect and How We Collect It
Profile Data. When users register and create a profile on our site, we ask them to select a username, and enter their date of birth and a password. We may also ask about your circumstances and preferences in relation to the housing rental industry. Furthermore, you can choose to add more information to your profile, such as a profile picture and other personal information. If you believe that someone has created an account depicting you or your likeness without your authorisation, you can request its removal by emailing us at email@example.com.
Reviews. When you make a review of a landlord, agency, property, or area we collect the information you state in the review, including what/who you are reviewing, details of your experience, and how you evaluate the reviewed agency, landlord, property, or area.
Usage Data: We collect personally identifiable information from our users at several different points on our site including registration, and any contact made by users in relation to any comments, questions or complaints they have. We will also collect data in relation to your use of these features (for example, how frequently you use it and the dates you used it on), as well as the data you submit in using the features. Apart from in reviews in relation to landlords and letting agents, if you wish to upload pictures or information about other individuals, this should be done with the individual's consent.
Log Information: When visiting our site, the IP address and the browser settings of your device are registered. These are recorded to enable us to address any misuse or unlawful actions in connection with the visit on or use of our site. Further, the IP address is used to determine from which city/town you are accessing our site.
Other Users' Data: Personal data about you may also be comprised in material other users submit or upload to our site in order to post reviews or engage with features such as our storage, notice generator and tenancy management functions, and (for letting agencies and landlords) take control of their landlord or agency listing. Note that uploading information about other individuals may impinge upon their privacy and data protection rights.
Social Data: You can connect your profile on our site with your profile on social networks such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter ("Social Platforms"). Some information about you will automatically be collected from Social Networks when connecting your Marks Out Of Tenancy profile with your profile on Social Networks.
The information collected from Social Platforms depends on what information you have made available on the network and your privacy settings for sharing such information on the network. Depending on the settings, we may collect the following information about you: e.g. Name and/or username; E-mail address.
When you request to have your Marks Out Of Tenancy profile connected to a profile on a Social Platform, you will be informed on which information we will collect from the platform in question before your request is executed.
We use the following cookies:
|Google Analytics||Allows us to track usage of our site|
|Session Cookie||Encrypted cookie that keeps track of your user account when logged in to marksoutoftenancy.com|
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
How we Use the Information we Collect
Upon activation of an account, the information submitted will be used by us to allow a registered user to use our site.
- Additionally, we may use the information for the following purposes:
- To display to other users reviews, messages and other submissions made by a user;
- To send you service messages, updates and newsletters about our site;
- To help us identify users and any accounts held with us;
- Research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis;
- Customer profiling and analysing user's preferences in using our site;
- Marketing, if you have agreed to it;
- Billing and order fulfilment (for landlords and agency staff);
- Customising this website and its content to user's particular preferences;
- Notifying users of any changes to this website or to our services that may affect them;
- Investigating any complaints that another person has been defamed, or another person's rights have been infringed, by any submission you make to the site; and improving our services.
Marketing and opting out
If users have given permission, we may contact them by email about products, services, promotions, or special offers that may be of interest to them, either from us or from one of our partners in the housing rental industry. If users prefer not to receive any direct marketing communications from us, they can opt out at any time. See further 'Your rights', below.
Disclosure of user's personal data
- We may disclose your personal data to:
- Other companies within our group of companies;
- Law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity;
- On request by a court, law enforcement body or governmental or regulatory organisation.
Keeping user's data secure
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard user's personal data, for example:
access to a user's account is controlled by a password and username that are unique to them; and we store user's personal data on secure servers, using encryption.
While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard user's personal data, users acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from users or to users via the internet.
Information about other individuals
If users give us information on behalf of someone else (e.g. a letting agency owner gives information in relation to an individual letting agent, or a tenant disclosing detail on behalf of another tenant), they in doing so confirm that the other person has appointed them to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that they can:
- Give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data;
- Receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices.
Users have the right to request access to personal data that we may process about them. If a user wishes to exercise this right, they should:
- Put user's request in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include proof of user's identity and address (eg a copy of user's driving licence or passport, and a recent utility or credit card bill);
- Specify the personal data you want access to, including any account or reference numbers where applicable.
Any person shall have the right to require us to correct any inaccuracies in any personal data held about them on the site, free of charge. If a user wishes to exercise this right, they should:
- Put user's request in writing;
- Provide us with enough information to identify you (eg account number, username, registration details);
- Specify the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
Users also have the right to ask us to stop processing their personal data for direct marketing purposes. If a user wishes to exercise this right, a user should:
- Put user's request in writing (an email sent to email@example.com with a header that says 'Unsubscribe' is acceptable);
- Provide us with enough information to identify the user (eg account number, username, registration details).
Our contact details
We welcome user's feedback and questions. If you wish to contact us, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can write to us at our registered office listed above.